Top Ten Tuesday is a bit different this week — top ten movies or TV shows. Hmmm. I don’t actually watch much TV, and getting round to watching films is hard for me, so you might find this list surprisingly outdated.
- Iron Man 3: Tony Stark has panic attacks. Pepper gets superpowers. I love the way they handle the racist trope of the Mandarin.
“How can you tell?”
“Because we’re connected.”
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier: On your left! Because I love the comic, I love the way they adapted it, I love the politics of it, and I love what the MCU does with Steve’s character. He can be a dick in the comics, but in the film, he’s a good guy struggling to reconcile his morals with a drastically changed world, and he does it while making me want to hug him. Also: who the hell is Bucky?
“Can any of you boys direct me to the Smithsonian? I’m here to pick up a fossil.”
- Howl’s Moving Castle: It cuts a lot of aspects I like from the book (like the whole fact of Howl being Welsh), but I still really love it. It’s one of my comfort films. Calcifer is just… ❤
“She likes my spark!”
- Spirited Away: I don’t think I have a pithy quote from this one, I just love it all.
- due South: Childhood nostalgia. Fraser was my first squish. And just… ❤ Also, one of the few successful major actor-swaps between seasons I know of.
“She shot me in the hat, Ray.”
- Stardust: Again, it’s not a perfect translation of the book, it definitely changes things, but it makes a great adaptation.
“Would I be correct in thinking that you can neither see nor hear me? Then I’d like to tell you that you smell of pee. You look like the wrong end of a dog. And I swear if I don’t get my Tristan back as he was, I’ll be your personal poltergeist!”
- Apollo 13: I have a lot of feelings about this film. The first time, it made me cry, even though I knew they were going to get safely home.
“We just put Sir Isaac Newton in the driver’s seat. “
- Firefly & Serenity: Yeah, of course they’re on this list. I love the crew, I love everyone, and I hate Joss Whedon. Understood? (Well, really, I hate Fox.)
“I swear by my pretty floral bonnet I will end you.”
- Castle: More Nathan Fillion! Also, best father-daughter friendship in the ‘verse. Beckett’s kickass too, but for me, the relationship between Rick and Alexis is centre stage.
“He’s like a 9 year old on a sugar rush.”
- NCIS: This is part because it’s awesome, part because Grandad loved it and now when I watch it I think of him. His favourite character was Abby. “She’s crazy,” he’d say. “I like her.”
“I’ve never experienced Gibbs without his morning coffee. We’re in uncharted waters here, Kate.”
And now I should get ready for my volunteering shift, but I’ll be back later to see what everyone else’s talking about!