Since Paper Fury posted 21 things you probably don’t know about her, I ended up doing a response. With 25 items because I’m 25.
- I’m Welsh. It actively pains me when people go “oh cool, you’re English!” when they find out I live in the UK. No.
- I have a sister. She’s a brat.
- I have five library cards. Two from the same library. I’m sneaky, me.
- I’m on a library committee. I’m in charge of book acquisitions!
- I haven’t read all the Harry Potter books. Sorry?
- My favourite animals are hedgehogs, hippos and giraffes. Don’t make me choose.
- I barely speak any of my partner’s native language. I can say thank you in a shop. That’s about it.
- I didn’t learn to read until I was nearly seven. Everyone assumes otherwise, but nope. I just wasn’t interested.
- I love King Arthur. See also #1. I wrote three of four of my MA essays on Arthurian texts, plus my dissertation.
- I have a BA and MA in English Literature… And I did very well in them, thank you.
- …But now I’m doing a course in Natural Sciences to prepare for medschool. Neurology, maybe? Genetics?
- I can sleep on a motorbike. Not as the rider, obviously; as the pillion passenger. I have a rally medal, and all I did was hold onto my dad and snooze for 36 hours.
- I’m a transcriptionist and copy writer. Neither of these things pay very well.
- I’m a volunteer at an eye clinic, a library, a forum, Lightspeed’s slush pile, and an occasional volunteer for Cancer Research UK and Tenovus. None of these things pay at all.
- I like chicken on my pizza. My partner thinks this makes me practically heathen.
- I like cold pizza the next morning. My sister is positive this makes me a heathen.
- I read in the bath. And I’ve only ever dropped one book in.
- I don’t get the ereaders vs. dead tree books debate. Both! Why not both?
- I know the stock at my local bookshops better than they do. And yet they won’t employ me. Sigh.
- When I really love a character, it sometimes means I can never consume more of their canon because I get too anxious. Castiel, bb. Why. And I worry this is going to happen with Steve Rogers/Captain America, because his next film is Civil War. Gaaah.
- I have no gallbladder. Had it out two years ago because it was full of stones.
- I once read The Lord of the Rings in 24 hours. That included sleep.
- I averaged buying more than a book a day in 2013. And I wasn’t far off in 2014. Oops.
- I had to pry open the back of my ereader to swap in a bigger SD card. I wrote a guide about it. Then they promptly stopped selling that type of ereader. Huff.
- I can’t back down from a dare. Like, my dad dared me to read War and Peace in a week. So I did it in five days. Or my sister said I wouldn’t dare suck spilt vodka out of the carpet. So I did. But I blame that on the previously imbibed vodka, too. Regardless, no one ever lets me forget it, so I’m trying to be proud of it. Or something.
You probably know most of these things about me, actually.